Why Did HBO Max Change To Max? – A few months ago, Warner Bros. did discovery, a division of the media giant, released a bombshell: only three years after its debut, HBO Max will get a complete makeover. HBO Max would change its name to Max, the website would get a new slogan, and its distinctive purple logo would be swapped out for a blatantly derivative blue one. And a whole lot of unique and fresh content.
Table of Contents
Why Did HBO Max Change To Max According to Updates?
It’s no secret that HBO Max is becoming Max. Users must be aware of the change before it happens. HBO Max changed to Max on 23 May 2023 for two main reasons. The reasons are;
- To signal a broader programming mix. HBO Max was initially positioned as a successor to HBO, but it quickly expanded to include a more comprehensive range of programming, including reality TV, documentaries, and family-friendly content. The new name, Max, reflects this more comprehensive programming mix.
- To make the flagship streamer look more “family friendly.” Warner Bros. Discovery executives felt that the HBO name somehow restricted HBO Max’s uptake among households with children. They believed the new name, Max, would be more appealing to families and help attract new subscribers.
The name change got mixed reactions from the public. Some praised the decision, saying it would make the streaming service more reachable to a broader audience. Others criticized the decision, saying it was unnecessary and would damage the HBO brand.
What Will Be Available On New Max?
Max, the new streaming package from Warner Bros. Discovery, will include a wide range of content, including:
HBO Max originals:
All of the HBO Max originals that were previously available on the service will still be available on Max, including “Succession,” “Euphoria,” “Hacks,” “Peacemaker,” “The Last of Us,” “And Just Like That…,” and “House of the Dragon.”
All of the Discovery+ originals that were previously available on the service will also be available on Max, including “Fixer Upper: Welcome Home,” “Chip & Joanna: Gaining Urban,” “90 Day Fiancé,” “Dr. Pimple Popper,” and “Gold Rush.”
Warner Bros. movies:
Max will have many Warner Bros. movies, including new releases, classic films, and family-friendly favorites. Some of the Warner Bros. movies that will be available on Max include “Elvis,” “The Batman,” “Dune,” “Harry Potter,” and “DC Universe” movies.
TV shows from other networks:
Max will also have a selection of TV shows from other networks, including Turner networks like TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network. Some of the TV shows from other networks that will be available on Max include “The Big Bang Theory,” “South Park,” and “Rick and Morty.”
New Features Of Max
Max, the new streaming service discovery, will include several new features, including:
- More 4K content: Max will have a more extensive selection of 4K content than HBO Max, including new releases and classic films.
- New profile avatars: Max will have over 350 avatars for users, including new avatars for characters from famous TV shows and movies.
- Easier sign-in and navigation: Max will allow users to sign in with a QR code or Wi-Fi and have a more straightforward and intuitive navigation system.
- New profile PINs: Max will offer profile PINs for adult profiles so parents can restrict access to certain content.
- New Hubs and Genres: Max will have new Hubs and genres to help users find the content they’re looking for more easily.
In addition to these new features, Max will offer all of the previously available features on HBO Max, such as multiple user profiles, parental controls, offline downloads, and access to HBO Max originals.
If I Already Subscribe To HBO Max, Will I Get Max?
Yes, if you already subscribe to HBO Max, you will automatically get Max. The HBO Max application will automatically update to Max, and otherwise, when you open HBO Max, you’ll be encouraged to download the Max app. Once you have downloaded the Max app, sign in with your HBO Max credentials and start streaming! Your HBO Max subscription plan and price will not change when you switch to Max. You will also have access to the same content, including HBO Max originals, Discovery+ originals, Warner Bros. movies, and TV shows from other networks.
However, the company announced new pricing plans with different capabilities, including the following:
- With Ads — $9.99/month or $99.99/year
- Stream in Full HD on two devices at once
- Ad-Free — $15.99/month or $149.99/year
- Stream in Full HD on two devices at once, with up to 30 offline downloads
- Ultimate Ad-Free — $19.99/month or $199.99/year
The only difference between HBO Max and Max is the name. Max is simply a rebranding of HBO Max with a broader focus on programming. If you have questions or problems switching to Max, contact HBO Max customer support for assistance.
Overall, the name HBO Max change was a strategic move by Warner Bros. Discovery to position Max as a more broadly appealing streaming service. It remains to be seen whether the name change will successfully attract new subscribers and increase engagement.